Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Planning for the future.

I am getting more confident in my discovery as to what my calling in life is. Unless some major change is going to happen in my personality, the obvious choice seems to be Psychology. Bachelors in Psychology equals to not having a degree so i must plan to get into graduate school if i want to make a living.

Statistics are staggering :\ only about 30% of the American population finish their Bachelors, only about 7% finish Masters and a little over 1% finish Doctorate. There is only about 10% of successful admissions into PHD program from Colleges. I must make it into that 10% no meter what. I can do it.

If i want to make it i need to plan now and gain an advantage over others. Here is my plan for the next couple of years in college in terms of my career.

1. Get to know students who are majoring in Psychology and build up social network.
2. Get to know the professors and faculty members of psychology personally.
3. Gain research experience.(Very important for my resume)
4. Obtain a job as a research assistant.
5. Obtain letters of recommendation.(Need at least 3)
6. Find out which branch of psychology i have passion for.
7. Prepare for GRE early.
8. Face the fear of public speaking and improve on it.
9. Start thinking about the essay i will need to submit as to why i want to go into graduate school.
10. Improve my vocabulary.
11. Volunteer.
12. Join a psychology club and other discussion groups.

As for how i will be making money while i am studding. I think i should become an ENG-RUS translator. It will improve my verbal reasoning, communication skills and make me decent money. Here is my plan for this goal.

1. Define every unknown word you don't know in books.
2. Read as much as possible.
3. Practice translating.
4. Obtain a translators dictionary.
5. Educate yourself in possible career opportunities as a translator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some scary stuff dude... but its a wake up call.

Anonymous said...

"Statistics are staggering :\ only about 30% of the American population finish their Bachelors, only about 7% finish Masters and a little over 1% finish Doctorate. There is only about 10% of successful admissions into PHD program from Colleges. I must make it into that 10% no meter what. I can do it."

In this I see you as being in the 95th percentile. Your grasp of the language should be a hint as to how well you can expect to do. No bother, fast-food places won't hold your lack of skills and education against you.

Welcome to your minimum wage life!!